Thursday, October 26, 2006

More About New York

The other day I was walking down the street, thinking to myself “what am I doing here in New York?” A long time ago, when I was 18, I came here to visit NYU with my father. Walking around Greenwich Village, I thought: Yes. This is it. I belong here. It was something incredibly dumb like the store Trash on Vaudeville—a glam-rock boutique on St. Mark’s Place that sells stuff like sparkly green Doc Martens—that made me fall in love with the city. That was IT. I was moving here and staying here forever. As they say, hideously, bafflingly, in the Bible, my heart was circumcised on the subject.

Like just about every New Yorker (and I guess I have earned the right, now that I no longer care much about it, to call myself a New Yorker), I have a love/hate relationship with the city.

I Hate:

• Traffic, all the time, everywhere.
• Loud idiots yelling outside my window.
• Car alarms.
• Standing in a subway car that is so crowded that I can’t turn the pages of a book, and being asked to step further into the car.
• Rats. Man I hate rats.
• Park Slope Moms and their murderous baby-carriages and their relentless, age-inappropriate chatter to their little Tristans and Charlottes about upcoming “play-dates” (whatever in God’s name those may be).
• No trees, no sky, no grass without rats on it.
• Clusters of horrible teenagers saying horrible things right next to me on the subway.
• Ambulances, fire trucks, police cars.
• Freakish and spontaneous happenings.
• The idea of raising kids here.
• Burglary, mugging, murder.
• Corny New York Kitsch, like those awful Robert DeNiro American Express ads.

I Love:

• Constant access to art: theatre, music and paintings. Not so big on dance or opera, though.
• Delicious, amazing Japanese fusion cuisine. Restaurants of every conceivable variety and caliber.
• Freakish and spontaneous happenings.
• Opportunity. Everywhere.
• The pulsing, tremulous energy of the city.
• The skyline of Manhattan from the BQE at night.
• The fact that everybody I could ever possibly know will at least come here to visit sometime.
• That New York is just always completely fucking COOL.
• Crazy cultural, ethnic and religious juxtapositions of the sort that happen every semester in every community college class I teach here.
• Subways, when they’re not too full.
• Dog Runs (spaces in public parks for dogs to run around. I don’t have a dog, but sometimes I sneak into them anyway, just to watch the dogs.)
• The random bits of historical flotsam scattered around everywhere.
• Timely access to obscure and great films.

So it seems that there are exactly the same number of things I love (thirteen), as there are things I hate about New York. I don’t know--my folks live in Suburban Maryland, and I don’t think they’re any less neurotic or frustrated than I am, in spite of the ostensible preponderance of stressors here. And as Chekhov, Ibsen and Bergman have amply demonstrated, it is entirely possible to drive yourself to suicide in a pastoral setting, beneath a cloudless, azure sky.

But this place is addictive, and arguably all addictions are unhealthy, in that they enslave you. If I were to move out of New York at this point, I would probably have to live with the eternal sense that something cool was happening and I was totally missing it. At least here, if something cool is happening, I have the option of being there. Even if I rarely am there, at least I could have been if I had wanted to. In fact, I am almost never there—but by virtue of the fact that I live here, it’s still mine, anyway. It’s all very pathological, really.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here goes:

I work in the financial district of San Francisco now and enjoy the walk around the crowded streets and all the frenzied activity and pungent smells and crazy rambling homeless folks and the brisk wind from the bay and all that good city stuff. What keeps me young and sane and dare I say joyful is that I look up a lot. I have heard that only tourists to big skycraper cities like New York and Chicago and to a lesser extent SF ever look up. The locals (and everyone always wants to look and act and be seen as a local for whatever reason) would never look up at the tops of those buildings and would even more never get thrilled at the sight of them. But I still do and I'm OK with that and it is the mightiness and the power and wildness of those buildings that are at the root of why I like to work in finance and investment and the business world in general. Somebody had to get out of bed and get it together enough to turn what would otherwise be rolling hills and a swampy shore into something totally insane and extraordinary. I am made sane by the insane.

OK, Jason, I've now blogged. So there.

Anonymous said...

valium online valium side effects humans - valium bluelight

Anonymous said...

buy zolpidem buy zolpidem 10mg tablets - zolpidem use in children

Anonymous said...

buy ativan online ativan side effects chills - ativan withdrawal itching

Anonymous said...

xanax for anxiety xanax withdrawal itching - much generic xanax without insurance

Anonymous said...

order valium legal buy valium online - order valium online with no prescription

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam diazepam 5 mg side effects - where can i buy valium online

Anonymous said...

alprazolam online buy greenstone xanax - xanax urine drug test

Anonymous said...

order ativan 4 mg ativan high - ativan sleep

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam diazepam 5mg tablets nhs - where can i buy diazepam in usa

Anonymous said...

order ativan ativan withdrawal signs - addiction to ativan

Anonymous said...

ambien sale ambien cr directions - ambien side effects muscle aches

Anonymous said...

order ambien ambien side effects nightmares - ambien recreational use dosage

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium dosage in dogs - buy roche valium online

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online without prescription ambien indian pharmacy - ambien cr long does take work

Anonymous said...

l9g0aod7 http://www.isotretinoin4health.net/#buy-isotretinoin-online-no-prescription - isotretinoin no prescription isotretinoin online

Anonymous said...

valium online no prescription valium and oxycodone - valium 40

Anonymous said...

c4ks84bd http://www.cheapisotretinoinforless.net/#accutane-no-prescription - accutane no prescription accutane online

Anonymous said...

xn7bl2d5 http://www.cheapisotretinoinforless.net/#isotretinoin-cost - accutane online accutane pills

Anonymous said...

buy valium online canada buy valium online c.o.d - price for 10mg valium

Anonymous said...

Nolvadex has a number of uses regarding breast cancer. http://www.uegmusic.com/ - buy nolvadex online without prescription Low cost Nolvadex/Tamoxifen pills online at one of reputable online pharmacy! Generic Nolvadex price. Women who have a high cancer risk may also take Nolvadex to reduce their risk factor.

Anonymous said...

Imitrex is only available by prescription in most countries and is available in many doses and forms including tablets, injections, as well as nasal inhalants. Imitrex is generally very well tolerated, but for those who cannot seem to shake the side effects, they will need to discuss other options with their doctor to determine the best course of action. http://www.streamsly.com/ - buy generic imitrex Perhaps much of the reason that the United States Food and Drug Administration will not allow for Imitex to be sold over the counter is that it is known to cause some unintended side effects. Not all patients will experience these side effects.

Anonymous said...

Celebrex can also be used for short-term pain management, such as in knee surgeries, or dental and orthodontic surgeries. It can also be taken by patients taking low dose aspirin for their heart ailments. [url=http://www.oakleycheapsunglass.com/]buy generic celebrex[/url] Working closely with your doctor and strictly following the prescribed doses is key to the success of the treatment program. Like other medications, it has also its side effects.

Anonymous said...

The other option is to take an extended release capsule once in the morning with or without food to last throughout the day. Panic disorders generally are a result of an overly active or overly excited brain. [url=http://androiddose.com/]buy xanax online without prescription[/url] http://androiddose.com/ - order xanax online no prescription buy Xanax online buy Xanax online

Anonymous said...

Additionally, mania is often treated with Klopin until other drugs can start working. There are some other more serious side effects or risks associated with Klonopin such as tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal syndrome. klonopin without rx Klonopin is a prescription medication that is used to treat a wide variety of conditions such as epilepsy, anxiety disorders, and panic disorders are all commonly treated with Klonopin. Doctors and patients should work closely together to taper doses to avoid withdrawal symptoms, which can be dangerous if not closely monitored.

Anonymous said...

Cymbalta is a liquid prescription medication that is used to treat major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder. purchase cymbalta Cymbalta should not be given to patients under the age of 18 unless cleared by a doctor. Cymbalta online When taking Cymbalta, one should not drink alcohol as doing so could increase the risk for developing liver damage.

Anonymous said...

goordRend ativan drug - purchase ativan online http://www.lorazepamonlinesales.com/

Anonymous said...

Allergy Asthma Medicine diflucan price - buy diflucan http://www.diflucansaleonline.net/#buy-diflucan , [url=http://www.diflucansaleonline.net/#fluconazole-150mg ]fluconazole 150mg [/url]

d said...

http://www.streamslet.com